Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August

A Day at the Beach


The beach glass and shells were collected over the years from beaches in California and New England. The sand is from Hawaii, carefully carried back by a dear friend especially for this ornament.


I love beach glass and all I’ve ever done with it is keep it in a jar. I don’t have the means to drill holes in glass and truly wasn’t interested in learning, just imagining the sound was enough to discourage me, tried beading a bezel, was successful but it was too slow. Next, remembered having fairly good luck working with wire when I made Beaded Goddesses several years ago. Although at the time I thought the wire seemed to have a mind of its own….like a Ouija Board, it seems like the spirits are moving it when in reality the slightest pressure is bringing about those wonderful results.

Playing with Wire and wrapping glass turned out to be lots of fun. These pieces are all done with practice wire. I’ve since bought sterling but have yet to try it. Had to get the ornament done first.

Hope you have enjoyed your time at the beach.

Cookie from Williams-Sonoma

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have outdone yourself this
time...........:)

Day at the Beach makes me want to
go to Hyannis and start looking for
beach glass.........

phyllis said...

love it, love it, love it

Phyllis

Kathleen Barnes said...

I can hear the waves now ! I LOVE beach glass and you have found a wonderful way of working it. The ornament is amazing ! Thanks for the heads up !

a2susan said...

This is the nicest ornament I have ever seen! I feel cooler and more relaxed just looking at it, feel that ocean breeze and smell the salt of the water.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this one! I'm wondering how you kept the sand inside the ornament, or did I miss it?

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I took another look and now see it's a clear glass ornament under the criss-cross beading. Sorry, duh.

Dee D said...

I love the ornament and the way you captured the beach. Sis, if only you were here with me today to actually feel the sand between the toes and smell the salt air. Perhaps you would share that cookie with me?

Shel said...

Of course, I would share my cookie with you.

Sis

jann said...

I am intrigued. I'm guessing that you removed the little metal thing-a-ma-jig at the top in order to put the sand and shells inside. But how do you keep that thing-a-ma-jig from coming off when you hang the ornament by the wire loop? I would think it would be too heavy.
Your beaded ornaments are so fun and always so month appropriate. I love what you create.

Shel said...

Jann:

After the ornament was done and filled, I had second thoughts about the weight so ended up running a piece of Fireline through the beads and then put both ends through the little holes of the ornament where the wire comes out...then knotted it a few times. Consequently the lid is now attached more firmly to the glass.

Robin said...

Lovely day at the beach, Shel!!!

Robin A.